Donor List - to be updated weekly... will be put up soon
Cash Flow - to be updated monthly... will be put up soon
Indo American Community and Senior Center (IACSC)
The first wave of Indian immigrants arrived in Delaware in the 1960s to attend the University of Delaware. As the non-student Indian population grew in the 1980s, about 20 families decided one day in a member's basement to start an organization with a formal constitution and structure. Indo American Association of Delaware (IAAD) (www.iaadelaware.org) was incorporated in Delaware in 1984 as a not for profit organization with a mission to serve the Indian community and become the cultural bridge between Indian Americans and the local community. Since then, IAAD has been serving the cultural, social, educational, and philanthropic needs of the local Indo American community and as an umbrella for other smaller regional / sub groups.
In the early 1990's, the desire for a Community Center and a Hindu Temple became apparent. The HTA subsequently came into existence but the Community Center remained a distant dream.
On April 14, 2017, the committee tasked with finding a suitable land for the IACSC signed an agreement with the owner of a 12+ acre site – a major milestone after about 25 years of conceptualization (shown below is a panoramic view and a normal view of the site).
2038 S College Ave, Newark DE 19702 - approx. 4 miles from Bob Carpenter Center, UD, on Rte 896 - en route to LUMS Pond / Middletown. Adjacent to Eagle Trace Residential Development.
County information at: http://www3.nccde.org/parcel/Details/Default.aspx?ParcelKey=112837
- 12.25 Acres of which approximately 2.5 acres (in the front) are usable for construction and rest is wetland / riparian buffer (possibility to create grass stretches for Soccer field and Cricket pitch).
- Zoned 'S' so suitable for our planned uses.
- Currently have 2 small houses and a large shed.
- The site has 2 front gate entrances connected internally as a loop.
- Asking price of $466,000 was negotiated and settled at $290,000. Hope to complete the due diligence and register the purchase to IAAD by end of June, 2017.
Phase 1 – Purchase and roadmap for 2017
Plan to complete purchase by end of June, 2017. Looking at Phase 1 – founder members that can contribute a minimum of $1000, and reach a target of $350K by middle of June, 2017. To make the whole system transparent, the fund inflow will be updated on IAAD website on a weekly basis and the expenditure on a monthly basis. All contributions to IAAD are tax deductible. At this stage, only Check payment is possible.
Have an interim Governing Body for IACSC, which will comprise of major donors and existing site Committee members. Have 2 volunteer Center Administrators who will coordinate Community Center Activities for the next 2 years.
- Make minimal modifications to the 3 existing structures (with the approximate balance of $45K after Closing cost expenses and after ensuring a buffer amount is available for monthly run and maintenance costs – lawn mowing, electricity, garbage collection, portable toilet for outdoor activities, etc.)
- Inaugurate the site in July, 2017 along with the IAAD picnic at the site itself.
- Start regular Senior Center meetings, Youth Group activities, Dance classes, Language classes, regular Free Health Care events, etc. in the modified buildings / grounds.
- Shift the IAAD Self Storage items to the shed (savings of $2000 / per year).
- Explore setting up a semi-permanent Volley ball court and a large open gazebo.
- Open up the site to the Indo American Community members for organized / private picnics, tail-gate parties, camping, etc. at no / minimal charges.
- Generate funds for run and maintenance by running Day Care Center, Home Food Cooking and Delivery, putting up a Giant Billboard for Advertisements (vantage view from Rte 896), etc.
- Get feedback and inputs from the community for Phase 2 and Phase 3 activities.
- Explore possibility of having Closed Circuit / Web based Camera Surveillance system for the property.
Phase 2 – Roadmap for 2018
Plan to improve the site at a cost of $100K to $200K. Look for Phase 2 – founder members that can contribute a minimum amount (to be determined) and reach the desired target as per the development activities. Online payment facility to be made available.
Have the finalized Governing Body for IACSC (to include 2 IAAD Board Members). Rules and Regulations to be in place. Benefits for donors / major donors to be decided.
- Create Soccer field and Cricket pitch by clearing bushes / small trees as permitted by the County / State / Federal laws.
- Create walking trail along the perimeter of the 12.25 site (think Lums pond).
- Explore possibility of holding multi-day IndiaFest 2018 at the site using tents. Parking space is abundantly available in the vicinity and Glasgow High School parking lot is only a mile away.
- Explore cost of hooking up the site with the Public sewage system and Water connection available in the vicinity (currently uses Septic system and well water).
- Create park like environment around the existing 2 ponds in the site.
- Increase scale and variety of Community related activities.
- Finalize plan for the Community Center building(s). Get the required approvals.
Phase 3 – Roadmap for 2019 and beyond
Commence construction and complete the Community Center. Look for Phase 3 – founder members that can contribute a minimum amount (to be determined) and reach the desired target of approximately $1.5 to $2 Million.
Already in place. Introduce Smart cards and adequate Security systems. All reservations / transactions to be done online.
The Center should be an Architectural marvel and cater for Parking; multi-purpose large Hall for Indoor games (Badminton, Volleyball, etc.) which can be converted for events holding 3000+ people; Food Court; Class/ Party rooms in Basement plus 2 floors or as 3 storied structure in the 2+ acre construction permitted area.